Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pueblo Inglés - a Week in Galicia

The people at Peublo Inglés weren't the only things I was falling in love with; the food at the Hotel Attica 21 in Vilalba was DELICIOUS. Sadly, I'm sure I've gained 10 pounds just from the shear amount of food they were feeding us each day. Continental breakfast full of egg tortilla, sausages, bacon, pastries, yogurt, fruit, juice, cold cuts, cheese, and LOTS of coffee.
tenderloin
 Lunch was a 2 course meal, followed by dessert of some sort, and always accompanied with glass after glass of wine.
fruit salad
 Supper was the same story - 2 course meal, accompanied by wine, and followed by dessert. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I loved stuffing my face with delicious FREE foods for the whole week. My wardrobe can't say the same.
Salmon
 I was very pleased with all of the fish dishes; since Galicia is on the northern coast of Spain, they traditionally cook a lot of seafood. It paired really well with one of the typical Galician white wines, Albariño.
Hake with potatoes
Halfway through the week, I started to follow the lead of many of the Spaniards and eat only half of the first course, and then half of the second course. That way, I could sample both courses and still have room for the dessert without completely busting at the seams. 
Queimada

ensalada con atún

Scallops in Galician sauce with breadcrumbs

Queso y Quince

Gazpacho
While the food itself was amazing, what stands out more for me were the conversations that flowed so easily among the gazpacho and Albariños. Food brings people together, and when you eat every single meal with a certain group of people, every day for a week, you really see that. Good friends, good wine, and great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment